NAM1 case adjourned again to January 20

Listen To Article

The Circuit Court in Accra presided over by Her Honour Evelyn Asamoah has adjourned the case in which the Chief Executive officer (CEO) of Menzgold Ghana Limited Nana Appiah Mensah (NAM1) has been arraigned for defrauding to January 20, 2021.

At the last court date, the presiding judge was on leave while the case was adjourned to today, December 16.

In Court on Wednesday when the case was called with the judge present, the prosecution led by ASP Sylvester Asare said investigations are ongoing and a lot is being done regarding the case so he wants to take a date.

The defense did not raise any objection as the court adjourned the case.

Starr News’ Court Correspondent Murtala Inusah reports that NAM1 was in court for what appeared to be his last appearance for the year 2020.

In October 1, 2020, ASP Asare told the court that the prosecution is hopeful the trial will commence this legal year.

According to him, “the instructions from our solicitors is that they are working hard to forward their advice to the court.”

He told the court that “as we begin the legal year, this matter will be commenced” before praying court to grant them an adjournment.”.

While acknowledging that the prosecution appears to “always come here with one story or the other” ASP Asare prayed the court to “indulge us,” over the delay.

NAMI was initially charged with abetment of crime, defrauding by false pretenses, carrying on a deposit-taking business without a license, sale of minerals without a license, unlawful deposit-taking, and money laundering.

It is alleged that the accused had taken various sums of money, totaling GH¢1.6 billion from customers.

Background

The State had previously on June 24, 2020, filed new charges against the CEO of Menzgold, also known as NAM 1 at the Accra Circuit Court.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare then told the Court that his directives were that he should hold on to the new charges and the plea taking of the accused.

On July 20, ASP Asare told the court that, they were seriously working to advise the court on the matter.

To this end, he prayed the court for a long adjournment after which they would have been able to advise the court on their intention of prosecution on the matter.

He said when the advice is ready they will issue hearing notice to the accused persons to appear before the court to do the needful.

Bail

The Circuit Court on July 26, 2019, granted NAM 1 bail in the sum of GH¢ 1 billion cedis with five sureties, three to be justified.

He had pleaded not guilty to all initial 13 charges leveled against him by the State. The state had since amended its charged sheet which is yet to be moved.

He is also to report to the police every Wednesday at 10:00 hours.

 

~~ Starr FM

Get the news on Whatsapp. Click Here To Join Our Whatsapp Group

Send Your Stories to email: editor@mynewsghana.com or Whatsapp: 0576270779

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button