Ghana News

Omanhene walks out from a REGSEC meeting to settle criminal case at home

A Decision by the Western Regional Security Council (REGSEC) to twice call a meeting with the aim of  settling  a criminal aspect of the case, in which the Omanhene of Lower Dixcove, Nana Kwesi Agyemang, was mugged and paraded half naked has hit a snag.

The said meetings were allegedly called on November 29 and December 12, 2020 at the Residency in Sekondi, but the participants failed to reach an amicable settlement because one of the parties was aggrieved.

It would be recalled that on July 22, 2019 the Lower Dixcove Omanhene, Nana Kwesi Agyemang, was mugged and taken hostage in the palace of his rival, Obrempong Hima Dekyi XVI, Omanhene of Upper Dixcove.

Kwesi Agyemang was beaten and paraded half naked on the streets of the town by his assailants, before the Police intervened and rescued him.

Hima Dekyi, who was accused of masterminding the attack, gave his statement to the Police and was granted self-inquiry bail. In the statement, he categorically denied that he had a hand in the attack of his colleague chief.

It was to find an amicable solution to the problem that the two meetings were convened at the Residency in Sekondi.

Present at the said meeting were the Regional Security Council Coordinator, Alex Quainoo, Anthony Ayensu Asare, Regional BNI head, DSP Valentine Akpasu, Ahanta West Police Commander, Martin Adu Yeboah, Ahanta West BNI officer and Dasebre Kweku Ewusi II, Vice President of the National House of Chiefs (NHC).

Also at the meeting were Obrempong Hima Dekyi, Upper Dixcove Omanhene and some of his sub-chiefs, including Kwesi Agyemang and his able lieutenants.

Credible information available to this reporter indicates that, at the meeting, Dasebre Kweku Ewusi welcomed the two combatants to the meeting, after which he explained the reason for the gathering.

But before Dasebre KweuEwusi could go further, Nana Kwesi Agyemang, who was the last to arrive at the meeting raised an objection.

He (Kwesi Agyemang) wanted to know who brought the case to the committee for settlement.

This harmless question did not get an answer, leading to him boycotting the meeting by the latter. The meeting consequently came to an abrupt end.

Kwesi Agyemang, in a telephone interview, would not confirm or deny the story, adding that he walked out of the meeting because he did not know who the complainant in the case was.

Again, he told this reporter he boycotted the meeting because he could not have been part of a meeting to settle a criminal case.

“I asked to know who the complainant was and I did not get an answer. I decided to walk out because I could not have been part of a meeting I did not know who the complainant was, and settle a criminal case in which I was attacked’?

For now, Obrempong Hima Dekyi and three others have been arraigned before a Takoradi Circuit court for allegedly attacking Nana Kwesi Agyemang, but no charges have been proferred against the former.

The last time the case was called on May 19, 2021 Hima Dekyi and the three others appeared in the dock. The case is expected to undergo a Case Management Conference (CMC) when it is called on the next adjourned date, which is June 16,  2021.

Kwesi Agyemang, who is the complainant in the case, was also in  the Court.

Car for Sale
Afariwa Royal Homes Community

Send Your Stories to email: or Whatsapp: 0576270779

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button

Ad Blocker Detected

Please use a different browser like chrome or safari for better experience